単純過去は、 今より前に終了した行動 について述べるために使います。期間は重要ではありません。行動が起こった時は、最近でも、ずっと前でも使えます。
- John Cabot sailed to America in 1498.
- My father died last year.
- He lived in Fiji in 1976.
- We crossed the Channel yesterday.
frequency: often, sometimes, always
I sometimes walked home at lunchtime.
I often brought my lunch to school.
a definite point in time: last week, when I was a child, yesterday, six weeks ago
We saw a good film last week.
Yesterday, I arrived in Geneva.
She finished her work atseven o'clock
I went to the theatre last night
- an indefinite point in time: the other day, ages ago, a long time ago People lived in caves a long time ago.
- She played the piano when she was a child.
備考： ago は、どれくらい前かを表現するのに役立つ言葉で、ある時間の 後 を示します： a week ago, three years ago, a minute ago.
|主語||+ 動詞 + ed|
|主語||+ did not||+ toのない不定詞|
|Did not||+ 主語||+ toのない不定詞|
|I walked||I didn't walk||Did I walk?|
|You walked||You didn't walk||Did you walk?|
|He walked||He didn't walk||Did he walk?|
|We walked||We didn't walk||Did we walk?|
|They walked||They didn't walk||Did they walk?|
to be, to have, to doの単純過去時制
- I was in Japan last year
- She had a headache yesterday.
- We did our homework last night.
否定文と疑問文での一般動詞としての"do"の単純過去形は、助動詞の"do",を使います。例 We didn't do our homework last night.
単純過去形での"have"の否定は助動詞の"do"を使いますが、単にnot や縮約の "n't"を使うこともできます。
- They weren't in Rio last summer.
- We didn't have any money.
- We didn't have time to visit the Eiffel Tower.
- We didn't do our exercises this morning.
- Were they in Iceland last January?
- Did you have a bicycle when you were young?
- Did you do much climbing in Switzerland?
備考：単純過去形における すべての 動詞の否定や疑問には常に助動詞 'did''を使います。
- He went to a club last night.
- Did he go to the cinema last night?
- He didn't go to bed early last night.
- We gave her a doll for her birthday.
- They didn't give John their new address.
- Did Barry give you my passport?
- My parents came to visit me last July.
- We didn't come because it was raining.
- Did he come to your party last week?