Mean + 動名詞 は、その行動の結果や、何が必要かを表現します。mean をinvolveに置き換えることもできます。
- If you take that job in London it will mean travelling for two hours every day.
- We could take the ferry to France, but that will mean spending a night in a hotel.
- Buying this jacket now means not buying another until next year.
- Leaving school would mean finding a job.
Mean + 不定詞 は、計画の意図を表します。 mean を intendに置き換えることもできます。
- Did you mean to dial this number?
- I mean to finish this job by the end of the week!
- I didn't mean to hurt you.
- I meant to return the books on time.